top of page
Brunchboxing new.png

Zolani Tete Shot and Killed in Ambush

  • Writer: Matthew Brown
    Matthew Brown
  • 10 minutes ago
  • 3 min read

Former two-weight world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete was killed in an ambush in South Africa, police say. He was 38.


The renowned Eastern Cape boxer was fatally shot outside his home in Mdantsane on Friday evening. A 27-year-old woman also suffered multiple gunshot wounds.


Police said the attack happened at about 6:30 p.m. Two masked gunmen reportedly approached Tete as he waited for his gate to open.


According to preliminary reports, the suspects emerged from a vehicle and opened fire. Tete tried to escape the shooting by driving into his yard.


However, he suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene.



Tete’s manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, confirmed the boxer’s death. He also said Tete’s next of kin had been informed.


Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that officers had opened a murder investigation.


“The scene is currently active,” Gantana said. Police, she added, were following the necessary procedures.


Authorities have not yet released the identity of the deceased publicly. They also said they would provide more details as the investigation develops.


No arrests have been made.


The surviving woman was taken to hospital for treatment. Police have not disclosed further details about her condition.


Tete’s death ends a remarkable boxing career that began in May 2006.


Tete won his first eight professional fights by stoppage. In his eighth bout, he captured the WBF flyweight title.


He defended that belt twice before earning a major world-title opportunity. Tete defeated Richard Garcia by unanimous decision in a title eliminator.


That victory earned him a shot at Moruti Mthalane’s IBF flyweight title. Mthalane stopped Tete in the fifth round, handing him his first professional defeat.


Tete then moved up to junior bantamweight. His first two IBF eliminators ended in defeats against Juan Alberto Rosas and Roberto Sosa.


He refused to let those setbacks derail his career.


In November 2013, Tete faced former champion Juan Carlos Sánchez Jr. in another IBF eliminator. Tete scored a knockdown in the fifth round and stopped Sánchez in the 10th.


The victory finally brought another world-title opportunity.


Tete faced Teiru Kinoshita in July 2014 for the vacant IBF junior bantamweight title. He won comfortably by unanimous decision.


After one successful defense, Tete vacated the title rather than face mandatory challenger McJoe Arroyo.


He later signed with British promoter Frank Warren in December 2015.


Tete moved to bantamweight in 2016. One year later, he captured the WBO interim title against Arthur Villanueva.


The South African dominated the fight and dropped Villanueva in the 11th round. He won by wide unanimous decision.


The WBO subsequently elevated Tete to full champion.


His first defense produced one of boxing’s most stunning knockouts.


Tete faced Siboniso Gonya at the SSE Arena in Belfast on Nov. 18. The champion needed only seconds to end the fight.


Tete landed a right hook during the opening seconds. Gonya fell unconscious, and the referee stopped the bout at 11 seconds.


The knockout broke the previous record for the fastest stoppage in a world-title fight. Daniel Jiménez had held the record after stopping Harald Geier in 17 seconds in 1994.


Tete’s achievement was later recognized by Guinness World Records.


He successfully defended his WBO title against Omar Narváez in April 2018. Tete won every scorecard, 120-108.


Next came Mikhail Aloyan, whom Tete defeated by unanimous decision. The judges scored the bout 114-111, 114-111 and 114-110.


A scheduled fight with Nonito Donaire in April 2019 fell through after Tete suffered a shoulder injury.


Later that year, Tete faced former world champion John Riel Casimero.


Casimero dropped him twice before the referee stopped the fight in the third round. The result ended Tete’s reign as champion.


Tengimfene said Tete had planned to return to the ring on November 29. The comeback would have followed the end of a four-year ban.

Instead, Tete’s career has ended in tragedy.


Police continue to investigate the shooting in Mdantsane. Investigators have not announced a motive or identified the attackers.


Tete’s final chapter was supposed to be a return to the ring.


Instead, it became a devastating loss for South African boxing.


For now, the boxing world is left to remember a fighter who became a champion in two weight classes and produced one of the fastest knockouts in title-fight history.


Subscribe to the Brunch Boxing website, Twitter and Podcast for more updates and in-depth coverage of the world of boxing in and out of the ring.


Brunch Boxing Support Links:

Comments


bottom of page